Thursday 24 February 2011

Introduction - Part 1


 Hi,
GLAD TO BE HERE
I'm Dylan, a Golden Retriever, and welcome to my Diary. Unfortunately due to the ignorance of my owner for all things technical (especially blogging), we have not really started at the beginning so please allow me a bit of time to back-track and introduce myself and bring you up-to-date with what has happened in the first two years of my life.

I was born on a farm in West Wales in September 2008 and spent the first couple of months with my brothers and sisters which was comforting but there was little human affection. In fact, there was very little contact with anybody and we were left in a dark damp outhouse. Whilst we were all together it wasn't too bad but gradually the other puppies started to disappear until there was only one brother and myself left. I couldn't understand what was happenung and by now, I wasn't feeling too well. I think my brother was feeling the same as he was making some funny whining noises.

Early in November, everything changed when we were hauled outside, one under each arm to be inspected by prospective owners, we must have looked a funny sight with me trembling and my brother whining. I don't know how they chose me as we were pretty similar except for my brother's slightly darker coloured ears but the gods must have been smiling on me as I was the chosen one and the last I saw of my brother was being put in a cage to be taken off to other prospective owners. In retrospect, I hope that he has been as lucky as me. With little delay, I was in the car and off to my new home and I have to say that never has the saying 'parting is such sweet sorrow' been so irrelevant!

Despite moving to my new home in Chepstow, the next couple of months were a struggle, not only to shake off the memories of the past but I was still feeling ill and seemed to spend  my time in the garden making a mess. All I heard was the comment that it looked like the Somme on a bad day! It transpired that I had got Coccidiosis and Campylobacter infection at the same time which takes some doing and I was quite poorly for a while. Several visits to the vet were required and at the time I was a real pill-popper. 

I think that is enough for now and in my next blog I will bring you further up-to-date with what has happened to me so far.






No comments:

Post a Comment